- 3/4 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 10 ounces sauerkraut, drained
- basil leaves
- spinach leaves
- tomato slices
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread, or gluten free bread if desired
- To make the cashew cheese- To a high powered blender or food processor, add the cashews, nutritional yeast, and garlic powder. Process until blended into a fine powder. Add the tahini, dijon mustard and water and blend until smooth.
- Place a skillet over medium heat and let heat for 5 minutes. Spread a little vegan butter on 2 pieces of pumpernickel bread.
- In the pan, add 1 piece of bread (butter side down), then spread 1-2 tablespoons of the cashew cheese on the bread.
- Add a few pieces of spinach, 1-2 tablespoons of sauerkraut, a slice of tomato and a couple leaves of basil. Top with remaining piece of bread (butter side up) and carefully flatten with a large spatula.
- Cover and heat for about 4 minutes, then flip and cook another 4 minutes, or until bread is crispy on each side and sandwich is warm. Cut in half and serve.