- 1 small yellow onion, peeled, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, chopped (seeds removed)
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled, chopped
- ¼ cup yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
- 215 oz cans black beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoonground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder*
- 2 – 3 tablespoonsfresh lime juice
- 1 – 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- 3 – 4 cherry tomatoes, sliced (for garnish)
- Add the chopped onion, chopped jalapeño, garlic, bell pepper, black beans and water to a food processor bowl. Pulse a few times, pushing down contents that go up the sides. Add the cumin and cocoa powder and pulse again until smooth.
- Place in a microwave-safe container and cook for 4 minutes. Remove from the microwave and allow to cool for a minute.
- Stir in the lime juice and chopped cilantro. Add more lime juice and/or water to achieve a thinner consistency if necessary.
- Garnish with chopped cherry tomatoes. Serve warm with tortilla chips.
* The cocoa powder adds some nice color and actually adds a nice, savory flavor as well.