- 1 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1/2 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 16 oz package small macaroni noodles, cooked according to package directions (use gluten free noodles, if desired)
- 1/4 cup reserved cooking liquid (from the squash/onion or the noodles…either one will work)
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Add butternut squash and onions to a pot and cover with water by at least an inch or two. Bring to a boil, turn down heat to medium and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, cook macaroni noodles according to package directions. Reserve 1/4 cup cooking liquid once noodles are done cooking and before draining. Place noodles back in pot and set aside.
- When squash and onions are tender, drain (reserving 1/4 cup liquid – unless you are reserving the liquid from the noodles), and add them to a high speed blender with the cashews, lemon juice, salt, dijon, garlic powder, black pepper, smoked paprika, turmeric, nutmeg and reserved cooking liquid from either the noodles or the squash. Blend until completely smooth. Use a tamper if necessary to push ingredients to the bottom of the blender.
- Add butternut squash sauce to the macaroni noodles and stir, making sure every noodle is covered in sauce. Warm through if needed.
- Dig in!